Tuesday 4 May 2010

Blah blah Demi Blah.....

There's nothing like an interview with a dull celeb to make you realise how many wonderful people there are in the world. I'm referring to Demi Moore's recent interview on Jonathan Ross.

Demi was interviewed regarding her upcoming film, which may or may not be as good as her other classics such as GI Jane (showing that skinny women could shave their heads) or, of course, Striptease (showing that skinny women can be plucky strippers). To be brutally honest the only Demi Moore film I give a shit about is St Elmo's Fire (showing that skinny women can be pointless coke heads) - and that's purely because I'm a sucker for rubbish 80's films. The interview was brief and consisted of a vague question about her film followed by a longer expose on how she manages to look like a 30 year old when she's clearly not.

The amazing thing about Ms Moore is clearly not her acting talent but the fact that she seems unable to age.

Now call me a boring feminazi, but aren't there more interesting people in the world? Aren't there more interesting subjects than staying young and beautiful? To me it felt a bit like listening to someone elses drug experiences - I can't give a shit if Demi Moore drinks plenty of water and doesn't vom up everything she's ever eaten any more than I give a shit about someone spending six hours tripping their nuts off, or hearing about someone's sleep patterns, bowel movements or work day. This stuff just isn't that exciting. That's why we have art isn't it? Because art is more interesting than the day to day crap that keeps us alive.

I might have a bit of a personal beef with Moore to top this off, she's been a staunch supporter of getting her kit off in the name of "empowerment". This is, according to the western press, a reason for celebration. Moore herself says:

"There's this idea that if you take your clothes off, somehow you must have loose morals. There's still a negative attitude in our society towards women who use a strength that's inherent - their femininity - in any way that might be considered seductive."

Okay Demi. Rely on the inherent strength that lies below your top and anyone who opposes it is just a jealous old hag - right? Clearly she's been spending time at the gym when she should have been reading about the formation of a rape culture (this links to an amazing article about rape culture - I fully recommend everyone reads it.)

Now I know that I'm being negative against a sister, and I can understand why Demi Moore clings so desperately to her looks. The approach of middle age is notably a difficult time for Hollywood totty - they either have to stay young or prove that they can act. Luckily for Moore, who I don't rate as an actor, a vast disposable income, lots of time on their hands and whatever fad rubbish that LA can buy can defy ageing.

But as for normal people - why the hell would you want to? And more importantly, why the hell should we be subjected to the mindless whittering of a pointless few when there are a great deal of wonderful actors in and on the periphery of Hollywood and around the world.

Anyway, as a two fingered salute I've decided to drag out a few of my favourites to show that we don't all have to be bored, there are a lot of women with lots of interesting things to say for themselves:

1. Isabelle Huppert
"It's not a public matter for me, being an actress - it's a really private matter. Most of the time that's what cinema is. It's public, it's private, and that's why movies create such an emotional impact. It's also very pragmatic. It's just work we're talking about. The rest belongs to me."

2. Ileanna Douglas
"Women don't want to be listened to. They only want to be agreed with."

3. Catherine Keener
"One director said I just wasn't sexy. It was hard, really hard. I left town for two months with my tail between my legs. But you have to kind of go, okay, maybe I'm not their idea of [sexy], but hell, I can have sex!"

4. Patricia Clarkson
"I think most people see me as much darker, more serious and possessing a certain gravitas, when I'm really quite insane. I guess I want everyone to see my insanity. I have a far more nutty and unpredictable side."

5. Ally Sheedy
"I started writing because I used to tell stories to the children who lived nearby and when I was six I started writing them down. I write poetry and plays, too, and writing is important to me. It is important for me to express my feelings and thoughts. If I'm feeling angry or wonderful or upset or happy I just write it out and reread the feelings over and over again. When I'm depressed I read something I wrote when I was happy and I can feel a great lift in my spirits. I love writing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment